The short answer to this is many things! However, those who own retail property and especially those who were looking to sell their shops will have noticed that more retailers have disappeared from the high streets, shops are still standing empty, high streets have still not recovered from 2007 and there are a shortage of buyers. Retail sales slowed in February, weakened in August and black Friday in December had a limited impact (Retail Economics). American Apparel, Direct Golf, East, Motor World, Cooplands, Mexx, Bank and many more went into administration this year. However, on the positive side, retail administrations were down by 1/3 in the first half of 2015, compared to the same period in the first 6 months of last year.
- VAT is damaging the commercial property market
- Commercial Buyers
- Shop Buyers Continue with Caution as Clinton Cards Face Administration
- High street retail shops are still in demand
- More casualties on the high streets
- Who Buys Commercial Property in London
- Shop Buyers
- Commercial property in 2011 – what’s in store?